"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/17/16

It's Fair Time

It's North Idaho Fair time. Yesterday I hauled mine and Knitwits items to the fairgrounds to be entered in the fair. I only had 18 entries this year, 5 of them mine. That's way down from last year's 47 entries.

One of our members is entering her things under her own name, rather than Knitwits, this year because in past years she's entered half her items through Knitwits, and half under her own name. She usually has lots of items to enter each year, but only half of them are needlecraft items. Anyway, when it comes to paying the prize money for all the ribbons she wins, the fair people always get horribly confused and mess everything up, so we decided to let her do all her entries herself to avoid this. Counting hers, we 'technically' probably have closer to 30 entries for Knitwits, but that's still down. We lost two of our more skilled and prolific members this past year who also used to make lots of entries. I miss both of these ladies very much, for they were awesome people to have in my life. But, unfortunately, human lives are limited.

As I mentioned, I entered 5 items this year. Three are knitted, one beaded, and one counted cross stitch.

The first knit project I managed to finish yesterday morning.



Originally I was going to finish a very complicated beaded necklace, but by Saturday I knew there was no way I was going to accomplish that. There was just too much left to do on it, so I looked at what I had in knitting that could be finished in time. This outfit fit the bill perfectly. I entered it as you see here, on the stand. I even made the jewelry to go with it.

My second knit project I entered as a 4 piece infant set.



That would be the cardigan, hat, and two booties. I didn't enter the blanket.

I don't have a pic of the third knitted entry, which was a 2 piece infant set. It is the striped sweater and hat for Layette set 16.

In beading I entered the recently finished Magnesite bracelet.



Last, but not least, is Snowman Row.



It will be interesting to find out how I do. I'm working at the fair for 3 days this year, starting next Wednesday, in the North Idaho Secular Society booth, so I will know then.

The garage did not get much done on it last week. The walls were supposed to be all framed, the garage doors installed, and the electrical done. But all that got done was a little bit of framing on the front. But it started to look like a garage at last.



The building crew got more serious this week and have showed up every day so far. It looks like this now. All the framing is done on the front



And the sides.



There's just a little bit of framing left to do on the back.

I find the guy reactions to this building project very funny. Yesterday the UPS guy showed up with a delivery. I opened the front door and he was standing in front of it staring with his mouth open. Finally he said "What's going on here?" So I told him. "That is a beautiful building!" he said with as much awe as a person can have. He was very very impressed.

The electrical is scheduled to be installed tomorrow. I don't know if that's going to happen.

Live long and prosper. \\//.

No comments:

Post a Comment